Your Emotional Guidance Scale
(From Ask and It Is Given: Learning to Manifest Your Desires)
A scale of your emotions might look like this:
1. Joy/ Knowledge/ Empowerment/ Freedom/ Love/ Appreciation2. Passion
3. Enthusiasm/ Eagerness/ Happiness
4. Positive Expectation/ Belief
10. Frustration/ Irritation / Impatience
19. Hatred/ Rage
21. Insecurity/ Guilt / Unworthiness / Fear / Grief / Depression / Despair / Powerlessness
Emotions are signals for us to pay attention to where we are on the scale. The real mid-point is at #7, Contentment. The ones below contentment signal a level of dissatisfaction with where and how we are in life. Most of us spend way too much time in emotions that are less than who we were meant to be.
So, take a few minutes to tune into how you are FEELING. What emotion (or emotions) is/are present? What is it signaling you to do -- think or act?
I'm noticing my "default" emotion is often irritation. I get irritated with drivers who change lanes suddently, or who fly up on the left when the right lane is supposed to be for passing. This irritation is signaling me to notice a few things:
- Maybe I'm paying more attention to others' behavior, rather than my own. In this case, I ask myself, "How do _I_ drive? Am I driving too fast?" Then it's time to slow down. (What's my real hurry, anyway?)
- Irritation is a form of anger, which is often a secondary emotion (this isn't on the above chart, but it's based on the experiences I've had). Anger is sometimes disguised fear and/or sadness. In this case, when I'm irritated with another driver, it's because I'm afraid they might cause an accident. (Now, THAT would ruin my day, wouldn't it?!)
So the next time your feelings are less-than-desirable, decide what you WANT to feel and take steps toward making that happen.
Let me know how it goes!